- Days to Sprout Sprouts 2-3; Shoots 6-7
- Soak Time 6-8 hours
- Yield 1/2 cup of dry seed yields 2.5 cups of sprouts
- Storage Our seeds should sprout well for a year after you purchase them, if stored in a cool dry place. If you’d like to extend the germination life of your seeds, store them in the fridge. If you store your seeds in the freezer, they’ll last even longer!
This food is low in Saturated Fat and Sodium, and very low in Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Protein, Thiamin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Pantothenic Acid, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Potassium, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Riboflavin, Folate, Copper and Manganese.
Did You Know? Chinese physicians knew about mung bean sprouts and were prescribing them for the healing of many disorders over 5,000 years ago. Green mung bean soup has been used by grandmothers for thousands of years in kitchens across Asia as a healing medicine. Try this nourishing recipe from Dr. Oz : http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/green-mung-bean-soup) We love boosting the bio-available vitamins and minerals by using sprouted mung beans in the recipe!
Best Sprouting Method
- Sprouting Tray (such as the SproutMaster)
- Easy Sprouter
- Grow mung bean sprouts in the dark – light causes bitterness.
- Soak – Put 3 – 5 Tbsp seed in a wide mouth jar. Cover with mesh + secure with a rubber band. Add water, swirl + drain. Add 1 cup warm (30C) water & soak for 4 – 8 hrs. Drain.
- Rinse – 2 to 4 times a day, refill jar with cool water, swirl + drain. Invert jar and prop at an angle in a bowl or sink. Mung bean sprouts do b/best with lots of rinsing – 3 to 4 times a day if possible.
- Enjoy – Ready to eat in 2 to 5 days. Refrigerate to store.
- SOAK- Cover the bottom of the sprouting tray with one single layer of seed. Place the tray and seeds in a dish of warm water and soak for 4 to 8 hours. (Alternatively, once you’ve measured your seeds in the tray, you can put the seeds in a bowl, fill the bowl with warm water, and soak for 4 to 8 hours.) Drain well.
- RINSE – 2-4 times a day, rinse the seeds. Either rinse under a tap of running water, or use a spray bottle to mist well. Tip the tray to the side to drain well. Mung bean sprouts do b/best with lots of rinsing – 3 to 4 times a day if possible.
- ENJOY – Ready to eat in 4-6 days. Refrigerate to store. Sprouts can be refrigerated for up to two weeks in a sealed container. (Sprouts store b/best when they are fairly dry- do not store immediately after rinsing.)