- It has been found that when calm and relaxed, people will breathe approximately 21 breathes in two minutes; this is the basis behind the 21 bead Mala. Use this bracelet to plan the amount of time to meditate without looking at a clock or using a timer.
- Mala bracelets make wonderful sacred jewelry that appeals to men or women. A mala is a tool for being mindful. It can be used to count repetitions of a mantra, a yoga pose or to set an amount of time for meditation. This form of counting allows one to focus rather than counting repetitions.
- In translation, japa means repetitive prayer and mala means garland. The beads are used to count repetitions of prayers, chants or mantras. One repetition is usually said for each bead while turning the bead clockwise with the thumb. There is an additional bead (or crystal), known as the guru bead, counting should start next to this bead. Usually the guru bead is not used during counting, but rather the counting then proceeds in the opposite direction.
- There are many types of mantras and styles of counting. Research is recommended to find the style that works for each individual.
- A good mantra to get started with is Om Mani Padme Hum which essentially stands for universal compassion.
Imported gemstones, manufactured in China